Beauty: does dermarolling work?

Beauty: does dermarolling work?

Today I'm going to talk about dermarolling and I will be showing off a before/after of my skin. Does dermarolling work, or is it just another hype? Let's find out!

I'm reviewing Swiss Clinic's 0.2mm skin roller paired with their rejuvenating serum. I had been seriously on the verge of ordering this particular skin roller myself after seeing Vera's glowing review, and then I got an email from Swiss Clinic offering up a product for review: total serendipity! Vera has similar skin issues to mine, with lots of redness in her complexion. After a couple of weeks of dermarolling, her skin had cleared up significantly - did she find the magic cure to rosacea? I had to investigate, obviously.

Beauty: does dermarolling work?

Let me explain dermarolling in some bullet points.
  • dermarolling basically boils down to using a roller with short needles to slightly damage the upper layer of your facial skin to stimulate its renewal process, which supposedly reduces scarring, pore size, discoloration etc
  • in addition, the punctured top layer of the skin allows treatments, serums and moisturizers to absorb more efficiently, increasing their efficacy 
  • in steps, what you do is: cleanse the skin, roll the dermaroller over all areas of the face with slight pressure, in all directions (horizontally, vertically, diagonally), apply treatments and disinfect your dermaroller
  • does dermarolling with the .2mm needles hurt? It does not truly hurt but it can feel uncomfortable, like you're roughing up your skin with, like, your boyfriend's chin stubble.
My experience with dermarolling was mixed. At first the rolling felt more uncomfortable than I had expected it to, because my facial skin is so sensitive. However, every day the discomfort lessened, as my skin got used to the treatment. I like the cooling effect of the rejuvenating serum, and I liked the daily ritual of rolling. However, after about 2 weeks of daily rolling, my skin reacted rather badly by getting very red and staying irritated for about 24h. After that I gave the dermaroller a break - I probably should use it more intermittently. 

But did it have any visible results? Let's take a look.

Beauty: does dermarolling work?

Left: before treatment, right: after about two weeks of treatment. I have to admit that after seeing Vera's results, I had hoped for more noticeable improvement to my redness. Right now I notice some areas that seem to have improved, and others that have remained the same or seem worse. The veins on my nostril for example seem more red, but that's not because of the dermarolling because it's basically impossible to adequately use it on the sides of your nose. Let me zoom in to show the improvements, though.

Beauty: does dermarolling work?
above: before, bottom: after

I think it's pretty clear that there is still plenty of redness in my cheek, but that the tone has evened out and that the red has become less "angry". The patch of redness on the bottom right of the top picture has changed most clearly, I think!

Beauty: does dermarolling work?
above: before, bottom: after

The same goes for the other side of my face: no huge, dramatic changes, but the skin tone on my cheek seems to have evened out a bit. 
I have to admit I only noticed these changes when I studied these pictures, but the results do prompt me to keep at it and see if dermarolling can do something for me over a longer period of use. In addition, I was told that my skin might not show its best results because the weather has become harsher over the period of time I used my dermaroller, which always has detrimental effects on my skin. Anyway, I will keep you posted! Let me know if you have any questions :-)

No comments